RECIPE: HOMEMADE JALAPENOS MOZZA STICKS
19 August, 2015
HOMEMADE JALAPENO MOZZARELLA STICKS
- 1 LB OF HOMEMADE MOZZARELLA - INFUSED WITH CHOPPED JALAPENOS
- 2 EGGS - BEATEN
- 1/4 CUP OF WATER
- 1.5 CUPS OF ORGANIC BREAD CRUMBS OR PANKO
- 1/2 TSP OF SALT OR GARLIC SALT
- 1/2 TSP OF CHILI FLAKES
- 1/2 CUP OF FLOUR
- 1/3 CUP OF CORNSTARCH
- 1 QUART OF OIL (can be vegetable, canola or olive oil)
- OPTIONAL: LIQUID SMOKE (1 TSP)
- OPTIONAL: HOT SAUCE FOR DIPPING
From my experience, add seasoning; it gives it an added wow factor.
- LARGE BOWL
- 3 SERVING BOWL
- MEASURING SPOONS AND CUPS
- LARGE SKILLET, DEEP FRYING PAN
- PAPER TOWEL
- 1 PLATE
- SERVING PLATE
This recipe calls for homemade mozzarella made from scratch however if you don't have time you can buy mozzarella from the store. After you make or buy mozzarella, you can use it right away by making this recipe or store it in the freezer until you are ready to make these sticks. If you are adding chopped jalapeños, they are added during the mozzarella making phase, as you stretch and form your balls, drop a few pieces of jalapeños at a time into the folds of the cheese to knead them into the cheese as you go. If you are using fresh mozzarella with no added jalapeños or mozzarella that you bought from a store, be sure to add more spice in BOWL 3.
PREPARE 3 BOWLS:
BOWL 1: Combine the flour and cornstarch
BOWL 2: Beat the eggs and add water (and optional liquid smoke)
BOWL 3: Combine the bread crumbs and salt and chilli flakes
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- After making homemade mozzarella, cut it into strips.
- Dip one cheese strip at a time into: Bowl 1, then Bowl 2 and then lastly Bowl 3. (It’s a good idea to keep a 4th bowl of water on the side to clean off your fingers as you go, it gets messy)
- After all three coatings take place, gently drop your cheese stick into the saucepan of hot oil.
- Keep it frying until it turns golden brown. This should only take about 30-45 seconds. The darker pieces (in the image below) are the pieces I kept in for 1 minute
- Remove it with tongs from the hot oil and let it drain on a plate covered with paper towel.
1. Fresh homemade mozzarella 2. Cut into strips 3. Dip into bowl 1: flour mix 4. Dip into bowl 2: egg mix 5. Dip into bread crumbs (this is panko) 6. Drop gently into hot oil (careful it is hot!)
(this image above doesn't have the chopped jalapeños added..this was my first batch. Trust me you'll want to add them to give this recipe addictive qualities)